Renal Dialysis Course 2022
22 – 24 June 2022
UCL Education Centre, 1-19 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 7HB.
The management of end-stage renal failure by dialysis forms a central component of all renal units. However, it is often the least intensively taught component of nephrology training. This 3-day course is a thorough introduction to dialysis, from basics to new developments. Our expert faculty will provide comprehensive coverage of all aspects of dialysis and end stage renal failure.
The course is run by the UCL Department of Renal Medicine, Royal Free.
Who is this course for?
The course is aimed at specialist registrars in nephrology but will also be of interest to other healthcare professionals involved in the management of patients with chronic renal failure.
Day 1: Wednesday, 22nd June 2022
Medical management of the patient with advanced chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Cardiovascular disease and diabetes
- Dialysis initiation
- Principles of dialysis
- Principles of haemodialysis and vascular access
- Medical aspects of vascular access
- Surgical aspects of vascular access
- Sarcopenia and frailty in dialysis
- Mini debate: Mega doses of Cholecalciferol should be the standard of care in dialysis patients
- History of dialysis
Day 2: Thursday, 23rd June 2022
Practical aspects of haemodialysis and related therapies
- Technical aspects of dialysis
- Dialysis adequacy
- Volume management in dialysis patients
- Challenging dialysis scenarios
- Complications of dialysis
- Renal replacement therapy modification in acute kidney injury
- Mini-debate: Individualised incremental dialysis treatment is the way forward
Day 3: Friday, 24th June 2022
Peritoneal dialysis (PD)
- Basics of PD
- Access in PD
- Complications in PD
- Can patients be maintained on PD in the longer term?
- Surgery in encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis
- Dialysis in the elderly
- Mini-debate: 20% home therapies is ideology rather than science
- What you need to know about running a dialysis unit as a new consultant
Further details about the course fees and a link to the online booking system can be found on the course webpage here
This year's course will be held face-to-face at the UCL Education Centre, 1-19 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 7HB.
Please contact Kate Henderson by email or phone if you have any queries about the course.
Tel: 020 8016 8264